Sunday, September 8, 2013

             Gazing out my window, I see nothing. Okay, that's a lie. I do see something, but I can honestly say that Wyoming's plain green landscape is not unlike what I've already seen in my home state of Minnesota. There are not even any cows here.
             I reluctantly begin to pick up my copy of Pride and Prejudice, when I suddenly have a ridiculous idea. "Do you want to play I-Spy?" I ask my sister, trying to make a joke of the barren and frankly boring scenery.
             "Oh, yes," she responds, laughing. We both share the same, silly sense of humor.
             We continue our nonsensical game (which solely consists of describing grass), until we see what seems to be a school. Our mouths drop open, and we look at each other incredulously. There's a school here? There aren't even any houses with children to attend it. Despite this irony, I am amazed that we have witnessed a sign of civilization. The only way this day can get better is if I spot some cattle.
           After what seems to be eons, we reach our destination. I jump out of the car and turn around to face it. Devils Tower. With the round sun setting in the red-orange sky, the monument looks magnificent; it is the focus of a glorious painting.
            I am awe-struck, and I look at my family, expecting to see the same emotion translated on their faces. This is not, however, the case with my mother. She is frowning at the geologic wonder. It is not a frown of anger or sadness, but of disappointment.
            "What now?" My sister asks my mom, obviously questioning the same expression I had noticed.
            "It's so dark!" My mother exclaims.
            "So what?" my dad asks, somewhat irritated. "The park hasn't closed yet."
            "I can't take my pictures in the dark!"
             I exhale loudly. My mother has an unhealthy obsession with taking pictures, and I can truthfully say that no one in my family is too keen about this passion.
             "We can't do anything else," I say somewhat obstinately. "We're already here."
              "We can visit it today," my mom decides. "but we have to come tomorrow again for my pictures."
               My sister and I wail in protest, and my father is thoroughly disgusted with the idea.
              "You can go alone if you want," my sister offers. She must be pretty darn dumb if she thinks our mom is going to change her mind.
               "No! What is the use of pictures if you are not even in them?" my mother yells. I understand that it's important to preserve memories, but do we need to preserve so many? Especially when we won't even look at half of them?
               "Okay, whatever. We'll all come back tomorrow." my dad says, ending all further discussion.
               We jog over to the ticket booth, desperately hoping that there is still time to explore Devil's Tower. Even if there isn't, I won't be too bummed out. We're coming back tomorrow, remember?
                Luckily the park hasn't closed yet, and we proceed towards the Tower. As we get closer, I am privileged to ogle at its impressive size and splendor.
                "Wow, it's so beautiful!" my mom exclaims. "Stand right here, you two."
                Sighing, we stand where she wants and wait for that too familiar flash.
                "Okay, you guys can go look around now." she says.
                 The robotic smiles slowly disappear from our faces. This is going to be a long visit.


               
  If you are inclined in some way to visit this national monument, click here to go to the National Park Service's website for Devils Tower.
Here is a video on the tower (This is how Devils Tower looked the following morning).
 
 
Experience Devils Tower (above) in all its glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment