Sunday, October 13, 2013

      Immense liberty is often associated with the idea of blogging about whatever one wants. This may be true, but I can truthfully say that I am stymied. What can I possibly write about? I could rant about how bad my day has been or how unenthused I am about Wednesday's PSAT, but I would quickly get bored with myself. After all, how long can one read or write about negativity and first world problems? On the other hand, I could write something demonstrating that I am in fact the epitome of 90's boy band fandom. But that would be annoying and creepy to someone who is not used to a regular dose of my weirdness.
       With that said, I have decided to upload some writing I have done for a book my sister and I are writing. It is not a particularly interesting scene, nor is it amazingly good writing, but life is not always supposed to be perpetually exciting, is it? Sometimes we just have to take it slowly. Here goes.


I am sitting cross-legged on my bunk, absent-mindedly twirling the ends of my blanket. Two of my roommates, Clay and Daniel, are on their beds, excitedly talking with each other about something I am not paying attention to. My third and last roommate, Mike, is sitting on his bunk with his back towards us and his face to the wall. I guess he’s pissed that the teachers said he couldn’t talk with his friend Larry until dinner. Anyways, I’m not too excited about being roommates with Mike. From my experiences in class, I can say for sure that he is one aggressive boy.

It has been about half an hour since we arrived at our cabins at Camp Eagle Spirit, and so far it has been pretty droll. When I walked into our room, I couldn’t see any suitcases or people, so I quietly assumed the bottom bunk of the bed near the door as mine. My rationale was that this way I would be able to bolt to the bathroom, cafeteria, and all those other places important for a functioning camp.

Anyways, I sat alone in my soon to-be-shared room for what seemed to be centuries until Daniel and eventually Clay walked in. We introduced ourselves and talked briefly about the introductory assembly we had to attend after we got settled into our rooms. It turned out they didn’t know what to expect either. After we had finished our short conversation and had made ourselves comfortable in our bunks, Mike walked in. He didn’t say anything, but he did throw us all individual and personalized dirty looks before retiring to the remaining bottom bunk to face the wall in unexpected silence. And he has not moved nor said a word since.

I’m starting to feel a tad bit awkward just sitting here, so I decide to speak up. It’s bound to be better than just sitting here and twiddling my thumbs like an idiot. “When do we have to leave for the welcome assembly?” I finally ask. This question is not entirely dumb, because I actually am curious about the answer.

Clay stops talking to Daniel and looks at me. “I’m not really sure.” He runs a hand through his bronze-colored hair, perplexed. “They really should have told us before we got off the buses.”

“Maybe the teachers will come tell us when we need to start?” Daniel offers from the top bunk.

“Yeah, but how?” Clay asks. “I mean, we’re all in different rooms.”

“They could knock on all the doors, I guess.” Daniel suggests.”I mean, it would take a while, but it’s still possible.”

“Yeah, that makes sense.” Clay agrees, turning towards me again. “I think Daniel’s right. I mean, how else could they tell us?”

“A loudspeaker?” I propose. If they use it in the school, it has to be an easier solution, right?

“That would be a good idea,” Daniel starts, “but I don’t think there are loudspeakers in these cabins”

All of a sudden, Mike whisks himself around, his face crimson and his nostrils flaring. “Can you assholes shut up? All you do is talk and talk and talk. I’m in the middle of a big, stupidass zoo, and you all are a bunch of wild asses!”

“What the hell is your problem?” Clay attacks. “Just turn around and stare at your stupid wall, ‘cause no one wants to see or hear you.”

“No, Clay,” Daniel starts, “It was a good metaphor. You know, I never thought Mike paid attention in Language Arts, but he proved me wrong.”

I want to laugh at Daniel’s joke, but something about Mike’s furrowed eyebrows and wide eyes warns me against doing just that. “You think this is funny?” he yells, staring right at Daniel. “I’ll show you what’s funny.” With that, he leaps off his bottom bunk and lunges straight for the ladder on my bed to attack Daniel, who is on the bunk right above mine. I quickly back up to the wall and hug my knees, terrified. I want to be as far as humanly possible from this deranged kid.

            Daniel screams as Mike swiftly climbs up the ladder. Poor Dan really has nowhere to escape, and I feel the terror he is experiencing. Surely there must be a way to help him. But how?

            Suddenly, a flash of black hits Mike on the back of his head, just as he reaches the top of the ladder. The mystery object falls to the floor, and upon closer inspection, I discover it is a deodorant container.

            “Which one of you sissies did that?” Mike yells as he turns around, his face redder than a ripe apple in the spring. He eyes Clay and me ferociously.

            I look down, trying my best to avoid making eye contact with the monster. I want to disappear and never return.

            “That would be me.” Clay says. I think he realizes what he has just gotten himself into, because as soon as the words escape his mouth, his eyes grow wide and he mumbles something that sounds like Oh, shit.

            “Well, you asked for it.” Mike retorts, smiling devilishly. With that, he jumps off the ladder and runs for the one leading to Clay’s top bunk.

            At this point, I am scared out of my wits, and I dash for the door. I have to find a teacher to put an end to this, and I’m hoping the lobby will be a good place to find one. I’m not very far from my room when I bump into Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime.

            “Al, I was just on my way to check on you and your roommates. I received a complaint from a student in the room next to yours about some disturbances. Is everything okay?”

            I am hyperventilating, and I don’t know where to start. There is so much I want to tell him. “No, nothing is okay. Mike is crazy, and you need to hurry.”

            With that, we both jog to my room. As we get closer, I can start to hear the yells clearer. I get increasingly nervous with every step we take.

            When Dr. Pinkaeasaboboflime finally opens the door, I first see Daniel yelling while running around aimlessly. My other two roommates are on the ground now, and Mike is on top of Clay, throwing punches left and right.

            “Boys!” Dr. Pinkaerasoboboflime shouts, obviously flustered. “Stop that this instant!” He runs to pull Mike off of Clay and pushes the angry blond towards me. We are standing right next to each other, so I inch away from him slowly.

            “What is going on here?” Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime gasps, flabbergasted.

            “I am the frickin’ victim here, that’s what.” Mike yells, glaring at Clay, who is now standing, though hunched over. He is clenching his stomach and his face is twisted into an extremely uncomfortable expression.

            “You will speak in an indoor voice on these premises,” the teacher orders. “Now Daniel, tell me what exactly happened.”

            Daniel, voice slightly quivering, relates the entire incident. I know most of what he is saying from first-hand experience, but towards the end, I learn what happened while I was gone. In a nutshell, Mike managed to get Clay on the floor, where the aggressive blonde delivered quick blows to Clay’s face and stomach. Mike is strangely quiet for the entire explanation. I guess he’s too tired from the physical strain that came with punching Clay’s gut.

            “Well boys,” Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime begins, “I’m disappointed. Engaging in physical fights is absolutely inappropriate, especially at Camp Eagle Spirit, and I will have to talk with the other teachers in order to take proper action.”

            “What would this action be?” Daniel asks, hesitantly.

            The teacher sighs. “That I am not sure of, but removal from camp is a viable option at this point. It’s unfortunate, but what must be done must be done.” He pauses for a moment. “I want all of you to follow me. The other teachers and I will make an executive decision as to what must happen now.”

            Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime opens the door and leads the way with us following close behind. We silently walk past beautiful paintings of ducks, deer, and various nearby wildlife, but none of those matters now. I can’t believe this is happening to me. I’ve never gotten into trouble with anyone, and here I am walking into a possible suspension or removal from camp. I want to cry.

            Finally, we reach a room. Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime tells us to stay seated in the small space while he summons the other teachers. When he returns with the other four teachers, I sit straight up in my chair. I only want to make the best of impressions.

            “So,” Mr. Rice begins, “Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime told us about the whole incident on our way here, but in order to take proper action, we want each of you to give your account of what happened.”

            “We’ll bring each of you to talk with us separately.” Ms. Pinora adds. “We just want to ask you a few questions. The other three of you will wait outside.”

            Well, that’s perfect. This is just like a criminal interrogation.

            “Daniel, we want to talk with you first.” Mrs. Brock says.

            With that, Clay, Mike, and I find our ways out the door. We sit on the floor right outside the room, our backs against the walls.

            “I can’t believe this is happening,” Clay says quietly, staring at the floor.

            I don’t say anything. Neither does Mike. His emotions baffle me, and I really don’t know what’s going through his mind.

            “We won’t be suspended, right?” I ask, frightened of the answer.

            Clay shakes his head “You and Daniel won’t be, but Mike and I might.” He exhales loudly.

            “I don’t give a shit if they do suspend me,” Mike snorts. “This is all bullshit.”

            Clay and I look at each other, but we don’t say anything. We all know what could happen if we did.

            After a while, Daniel walks in and tells me that I’m up next. I take a deep breath and walk in.

            The actual interrogation is not that bad. I tell the teachers what I saw happen, and then I answer some questions. The questions are not hard, as they are factual, and I can remember the answers to most of them.

            After about five minutes, my interview is done, the teachers thank me, and I get up to leave. Just as I am about to turn the knob on the door, I remember my all-important question and turn around. “Am I going to get suspended?” I ask.

            The teachers laugh. “No, Al. You’re not.” Mr. Rice comforts.

            I thank them and leave the room, relieved. I tell Mike he has to go in before I sit down with my other roommates. He just grunts and makes his way to the door.

            The next several minutes are a blur. I don’t talk at all and fail to notice when Mike changes places with Clay. I am awakened from my daze when Mrs. Brock comes out and summons us all inside the room again. I follow, unsure of what to expect.

            “Well, boys,” Ms. Moon starts once we are all seated next to each other, facing the teachers, “We have come up with a decision after much discussion. We’ve taken a lot into consideration, and we feel our actions reflect the best interests of all four you.”

            “All four of your families will receive a phone call home describing the incident.” Mrs. Brock continues. “In addition, Mike will spend the rest of the day, as well as the night, in a different room.” She turns to face the sulking boy. “You won’t be eating dinner with the rest of the student body today, and you will not attend the welcome assembly.”

            Mike is remarkably stoic despite this news, and I begin to wonder if the reason for his lack of expression is due to similar experience.

            “Mike, you will join your roommates tomorrow morning.” The teacher continues. Mike groans and begins to protest, but Mrs. Brock silences him. Even I am confused. Aren’t students usually suspended for involvement in fights?

“Clayton, from the evidence gathered, we realize that the only real damage you have done was in throwing that bottle, or whatever it was, and defending yourself from Mike’s assault. You will continue with the regular schedule, but you will help clean tables after dinner today. Due to this responsibility, you may miss some of the welcome assembly.”

Clay exhales and gives a weak smile. I guess he was expecting worse.

“Daniel and Al, you will simply continue with the regular schedule. Thank you all for contributing to our decisions, and you may leave for dinner now. Mike, stay with us.”

I tell Daniel and Clay that they can make their way to the cafeteria, and that I’ll catch up with them later. They shrug, confused, and walk out the door.

“Al, do you need something?” Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime asks.

“Actually, I have a question. Can we talk over there?” I say pointing to a corner while lowering my voice.

“Of course.” Dr. Pinkaerasaboblime says, following me away from the other teachers and Mike.

When we are far enough from them, I decide to ask my question. “I know a lot of times, teachers suspend kids for stuff like this. But you didn’t though. Why?”

The teacher smiles. “We truly believe this camp is what Mike needs in order to change his behaviour. Sending him away would essentially be denying him what he needs most at this time.” He looks at me, trying to read my expressions. “Do you understand that?”

“Yeah, I guess,” I say.

Dr. Pinkaerasaboboflime laughs. “Well, don’t think about that now. It’s over. Go enjoy dinner.”

1 comment:

  1. This is such amazing writing! Who are you? You should be famous! However, you are not the epitome of 90's boy band fandom. That would be me. I bet you didn't know that *NSYNC's first single went Gold in Germany before they even got there. What now?!?! But seriously, you should be famous.

    ReplyDelete