Sunday, October 6, 2013


Narration on Grief

When I was eight years old, I could tell you, without a hint of doubt on my face, that my fish were the best pets any little girl could ask for. Every afternoon, I loved to watch them race to the surface of their fish tank to nibble the flakes I so lovingly sprinkled for them.  Whenever I rushed down the stairs, I happily anticipated their small, emotionless faces waiting for me by the edge of their tank. My goldfish were my pride as well as my friends, and I cherished each day I spent with them.

 One unfortunate day however, I felt myself being shaken, somewhat violently, but definitely urgently. Despite the obvious vigor of the shoves, I slowly opened my eyes to a narrow squint and adjusted them to bear the bright lights. I saw my dad frowning as he started my day with some horrible news in store. One of my beloved fish had died. At that moment, my eyes shot wide open. I threw the covers off myself, jumped out of bed, and rushed downstairs. I was completely unwilling to believe my father, and I hoped desperately that he was wrong. Perhaps he had been dreaming or hallucinating for some reason. Despite the optimism, my hopes were dashed instantly as soon as I neared the fish tank. Sure enough, my white goldfish was upside down, floating at the top of the water, eyes wide open. I screamed, terrified. Then I succumbed to tears.

We had decided that an informal burial in our garden bed would be a decent way to honor my fish’s life. I watched my fish being lowered into the ground as tears welled in my eyes. I was extremely devastated, and when we reentered the house, I burst into tears.

Even after we had buried my fish in the garden bed, my grief was still evident. Though I did not cry every minute of the day anymore, I was definitely disappointed. I felt the pain every hour. On many occasions, I would cry and sit alone in my room, dejected. When I went downstairs and looked at my remaining fish, I felt filled with an intense sadness. When my parents offered to buy me another fish, I refused. I didn’t want to experience such pain ever again. Besides, my fish was one-of-a-kind. At the time, it seemed to me that I would never be happy again. But as time passed, I gradually learned to better manage my emotions, and am happy to say that I am now healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment